Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
Learning opportunities for the Critical Care Medicine Fellowship, include:
- Basic Science Series: Discuss core basic science principles that underlie the pathophysiology of critical care medicine.
- Bell Rounds: Monthly meeting with the division chief to discuss unit practices and/or neurocritical care topics.
- BMT & PCCM Conference: Coordinated by Matthew Sharon, M.D., this quarterly conference is designed to address many of the “bread and butter” topics in pediatric critical care focusing on BMT specific disease pathology.
- CCM Board Review: Monthly interactive sessions led by Ashley Siems, M.D., where fellows compete to correctly answer and explain board-review-type questions.
- CCM Mathletics: Lead by Sonali Basu, M.D., and Greg Yurasek, M.D., this is a recurring interactive session where the fellows have the opportunity to review physiologic principles by responding to questions individually on a white board.
- CCM Morbidity and Mortality: Review morbidity and Mortality Cases from the PICU and discuss best practices, standard of care and best evidence. Fellows also discuss systems based changes that can reduce future morbidity and mortality and review quality CPR performance of the unit.
- CCM Prof Rounds: Fellow chooses a particularly challenging case from their clinical time and pairs with a faculty advisor to present that case, identifying different areas where they can pose clinical questions to the faculty in the room. Faculty can share their knowledge and approach to similar situations.
- CICU Book Club: Monthly chapter discussion led by Jason Patregnani, M.D., from the Comprehensive Surgical Management of Congenital Heart Disease written by our cardiothoracic surgeon, Richard Jonas, M.D.
- CICU Conference: Organized and led by John Berger, M.D., This conference is a twice monthly interactive conference for the critical care and cardiology fellows focuses on the pathophysiology encountered in the medical and surgical patients seen in the CICU.
- Ethics: Led by Vanessa Madrigal, M.D., head of the Ethics department at CNMC, fellows review ethical principles and discuss challenging ethical cases encountered in the ICU
- Fellow Rounds: A monthly fellow led session on wellness and prevention of burnout. Senior fellows share personal experience and/or invite speakers.
- Journal Club: A monthly fellow led session directed at answering clinical based questions using recent literature.
- Neuro-Critical Care Conference: Organized by Nathan Dean, M.D., our director of NeuroCritical Care and PICU Medical Unit Director, this session brings together our ICU based neurology team and the critical care faculty and fellows to discuss cases and topics of interest.
- Palliative Care Series: Led by Tessie October, M.D., M.P.H., this quarterly conference aims to educate our fellows in the area of palliative care including delivering bad news, conducting end of life discussions and addressing ethical dilemmas.
- PEM & PCCM Conference: Monthly run conference where critical care and emergency medicine fellows collaborate to discuss common shared emergencies utilizing case review, literature review, video review and simulation. Faculty guide as mentors and moderators.
- PICU Book Club: Monthly discussion of a chapter in a Critical Care text that utilizes adult learning theory to encourage conversation around advanced physiology topics
- Pollack Rounds: Murray Pollack, M.D., founding father of Critical Care Medicine, holds monthly discussions with fellows highlighting study design, research practice and critical analysis of literature.
- Wernovsky Rounds: Monthly cardiac physiology talks with Gil Wernovsky, M.D.