What patients and families need to know
Preparing for Surgery
One Month Before Surgery
Have I discussed my child’s medical history with the surgeon?
- The reason for the surgery
- Medications my child is taking
- Allergies to medicine, food or latex
- Reactions to anesthesia or to a blood transfusion
- History of nausea after anesthesia or medication
- Immunization record
- Previous illnesses or operations
- Previous hospital stays (admissions), tests or treatments
- Anything that might put my child at risk during the hospital visit
- Have I asked my surgeon about any special equipment I may need at home after surgery?
- Have I arranged for someone to care for my other children while I am at the hospital?
- Have I considered contacting the surgical Child Life Specialist at 202-476-5665?
Have I done the following?
- Scheduled a physical exam with my child’s primary care physician within 30 days before the operation
- Made sure my child's primary care physician completed and signed the medical history and physical examination form
- Notified Language Services if my child, family or I have special communication needs, such as hearing impairment, visual difficulties, foreign language translation, etc?
Language Services: 202-476-5444
- Received authorization from my insurance company for the operation, if required by my insurance contract
- Considered bringing my child to the hospital on a Sunday afternoon for the pre-surgical tour?\
For more information, call 202-476-3812