Many urologic disorders and illnesses are unique to kids, and may have a serious impact on a child’s overall well-being. . That’s why it’s important to trust your child’s care to a dedicated team of specialized pediatric urologists. Our team has more than 100 years of combined experience diagnosing and treating disorders affecting reproductive and urinary organs in children. This expertise is one of the many reasons our Urology program is ranked among the top 25 in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
Expert Urology Care at Children's National
At Children’s National, we create a personalized treatment plan for every child tailored to specific diagnosis, age, and individual needs. We routinely review our complex cases on a weekly basis with all of the pediatric urologists in our practice. That means you get multiple experts weighing in on the best treatment course for your child. Our urologists also partner with experts from other specialties at Children’s National, including orthopedics, endocrinology, genetics, psychology and pediatric gynecology, ensuring that care is seamlessly coordinated. And, because we’re among the top pediatric hospitals in the country, you can be confident of receiving the most skilled diagnosis and care in an environment designed to be comfortable for kids and families.
The Urology team is led by H. Gil Rushton, MD, and includes 7 other fellowship trained pediatric urologists and 3 nurse practitioners. Dr. Rushton has been part of the Children’s National Urology team for more than 20 30 years, leading innovations that make surgery less invasive and easier on children and families. He also created a unique transitional care program for teens, to guide them into adult care.
At Children’s National, the Urology program offers:
- Advanced diagnostic testing: We are national experts in two of the most advanced nuclear study tests used today for diagnosing problems in the kidneys and bladder: the Mag-3 diuresis renal scan and DMSA renal scan. We also offer the only pediatric videourodynamics lab in the Greater Washington area which allows for state of the art evaluation and management of the bladder in children with more complex voiding disorders.
- A family-centered environment: You can stay close by or even with your child for many of the diagnostic tests and procedures we perform. We make sure you know what to expect at every step, from diagnosis through treatment and surgery, and are informed about all of your child’s options.
- Convenient scheduling and locations: We offer consultations at any of our Regional Outpatient Centers, located throughout the DC, Maryland and Virginia area. And tooto make the process easier for your family, we are able to schedule all imaging tests for the same day as your clinic appointment.
Urologic Surgery at Children’s National
When we recommend surgery as the best treatment option for your child, you can feel confident that their care will be in the hands of one of the most experienced, precise and innovative surgical teams in the country. Here, we regularly repair the most complex conditions, ones that other centers in the region might handle only once or twice a year. Whenever possible, we use minimally invasive surgery to speed up recovery, reduce pain and keep scarring to a minimum. We are the only hospital in the Washington, DC, area that offers pediatric robotic surgery, including use of the da Vinci® robotic surgical system, which allows our surgeons to perform precise movements for even the smallest patients. And our urologic surgeons aren’t just performing robotic surgery, we are active in the development of new assisted procedures that can improve outcomes and recovery.
Specialized Urology Programs
Specialists in our dedicated clinics offer additional support and resources for you and your family.
- Urinary Stone Program: One of the few programs in the U.S. dedicated to treating children with kidney, ureteral, and bladder stones
- Wetting, Infection, and Stooling Help (WISH) Clinic: Focuses on helping children with simple voiding disorders, such as daytime wetting and bedwetting, as well as more complicated cases
- Spina Bifida Program: Focuses on evaluation, management, and surgery for children born with neuropathic bladder dysfunction associated with Spina Bifida and other neurological disorders
- Positive Reevaluation of Urogenital Differences (PROUD) Clinic: Focuses on the evaluation, treatment, and counseling for children born with sex development disorders. The program includes the expertise of an urologist, pediatric gynecologist, geneticist, endocrinologist, mental health expert, and nurse coordinator.
- Transitional Urology: Provides highly individualized, integrated care that helps complex adolescent patients and their families transition from pediatric to adult care.
Planning Your Visit
For appointments and consultations, call 202-476-5042.