Refer a Patient to the Fetal Medicine Institue
The Fetal Medicine Institute at Children’s National Health System is proud to offer outstanding tertiary and quaternary diagnostics and patient management for Obstetric and Maternal Fetal Medicine practices throughout the Mid-Atlantic and beyond.
How to Refer a Patient
Call our referral line and speak directly with an administrative coordinator from 7 am to 6 pm daily
- Washington, DC, area: 202-476-7409
- Toll free: 866-476-7409
You can also fax or email a referral:
After calling or faxing a referral, one of our care coordinators will contact you for more information. Our care coordinators include a board-certified family nurse practitioner and three board-certified genetic counselors.
All patient visits require patient records from your practice to be faxed or emailed to our institute at the contact information provided above. Key documents include:
- Ultrasound reports
- First or second trimester screen results
- Results of amniocentesis or CVS, if applicable
- Results of TORCH titers, if applicable
- Any significant family history
- Current patient/family contact information
We will notify your office via secure e-mail or letter of the date and planned schedule for your patient’s visit.
- Following the visit, we will e-mail or fax reports to your office as soon as they become available.
- Radiology reports are typically available either the same day or the next day. Consultation reports are sent within 3-5 days of the visit.
- The medical team on each case is always available if you’d like to speak directly with a physician, nurse practitioner, or genetic counselor.
Approximately 30 days prior to the estimated delivery date, our team will send a report of our findings and recommendations for the perinatal period together with a copy of all diagnostic and consultation reports to the delivery hospital, the referring physician, and the patient.
Fetal Connections is a quarterly publication from the Fetal Medicine Institute. It provides updates about the clinical, research, and educational activities of the Fetal Medicine Institute. Sign up to receive the digital and/or print version of Fetal Connections.