Eosinophilic Esophagitis Clinic
Preparing for Your Visit
In our clinic, families will meet with a team consisting of an allergist, gastroenterologist, and nutritionist to tailor a plan to help your child face EoE.
Our multidisciplinary clinic provides a collaborative and comprehensive evaluation for children diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE). Our team of experts will provide patients and their families with up-to-date information in the areas of clinical and research progress. Our goal is to provide guidance for families to make informed decisions around EoE.
Eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) is an allergic inflammation of the esophagus. It is a chronic condition that usually results from a food allergy. The condition is more common in children who might have other allergies including food and seasonal allergies, eczema, and asthma. The role of genetic predisposition is also being investigated. EoE is more common in children and men. A US study reports the incidence of EoE in children as 1 per 10,000, with several studies supporting a rise in diagnosis of new cases.
Symptoms of EoE vary with age and may be mistaken for gastroesophageal disease (GERD). At times, this may contribute to a delay in making a correct diagnosis.
- Infant and toddlers may have symptoms very similar to GERD like vomiting, poor weight gain or abdominal pain.
- Children may experience feeding challenges like difficulty advancing to age-appropriate foods or coughing when they are trying to swallow solids and/or liquids.
- Older children experience difficulty with swallowing. At times, the esophagus can narrow and cause food impaction, where food becomes stuck. This results in significant pain, spitting of saliva, and is a medical emergency.
• North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN)
• American Partnership for Eosinophilic Disorders (APFED)
In our clinic, families will meet with a team consisting of an allergist, gastroenterologist, and nutritionist. Together, we tailor a plan to help your child face EoE.
- Allergy: Children affected by allergies and complex immunologic disorders benefit from our specialists’ expertise, because our doctors treat children and only children with these conditions. We will evaluate your child for food and environmental allergies using skin prick and blood tests.
- Gastroenterology: Our pediatric gastroenterology team provides comprehensive, personalized care for infants, children, and teenagers. The internationally renowned pediatric specialists at Children’s National have the skills and resources to diagnose, treat, and manage digestive disorders in children. When your child meets with the gastroenterologist, we will discuss options around endoscopic and GERD evaluations.
- Review of specific dietary treatment plans customized according to food allergy evaluation.
- Print material on common food allergies
- Recipe ideas
To make an appointment, please call 202-476-3016 (option 4), or 301 765 5601 (note: messages left on Friday will be returned on the following Monday).
Eosinophilic Esophagitis Clinic Team