Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
Autism Evaluation and Treatment Services
The multidisciplinary team at the Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders includes clinical psychology, neuropsychology, speech/language pathology, psychiatry and developmental pediatrics. Our team provides a range of clinical services for children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and other developmental disorders, and their families.
Our newest clinical programs include:
- Inpatient and outpatient autism consultation and training. Our Autism Behavioral Communication (ABC) Support team educates and collaborates with nurses, doctors and other care providers to help them understand the unique needs of children with ASD while in the medical setting.
- Telehealth. We use telecommunications and information technology to provide real-time, two-way communications between medical experts and families. This service makes specialized CASD therapies available to children and families no matter where they live.
- Toddler and preschool rapid assessments. Depending on your child’s needs, we provide a streamlined option that combines evaluation for two specialties at once. This includes a psychology/speech and language assessment or a psychology/developmental pediatrics assessment.
Evaluations are offered for children ages 15 months through young adulthood. The evaluation process may include a series of appointments or a single visit. The type of evaluation needed is determined patient-by-patient but may include:
- Diagnostic interview and review of medical and developmental history
- Neuropsychological or developmental evaluation, which may include assessment of intellectual ability, language, visual-spatial skills, attention, executive functioning, memory, fine motor skills, social functioning, adaptive behavior, and/or academic achievement
- Comprehensive speech/language assessment of verbal and nonverbal communication skills
- Standardized diagnostic play/interview session
- Physical examination
Based on our findings, team members meet with the family to discuss diagnosis, prognosis and recommendations for school placement, behavioral intervention and adjunct services. A written report with recommendations for academic and therapeutic interventions is also provided. Based on parental preference, we can consult with the child’s school by attending school meetings and assisting with the development and implementation of educational plans.
Treatment and Support Services
We offer a limited range of treatment and support services for children and adolescents with ASD and their families, addressing executive function, transition to adulthood and gender nonconformity. Services are provided by multiple disciplines and can include individual therapy, family therapy, group therapy, brief consultations and psychiatric services.