Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
Surgery is one of the cornerstones of cancer care. Between biopsies, removing tumors and other procedures, we performed over 700 surgeries in 2014 alone. That type of high volume translates directly into superior skill and experience at treating every type of tumor, even the most complex.
Pediatric Sarcoma Surgery at Children’s National
Consistent with our mission to provide a quality healthcare experience for all of our patients, our goal is to carry out your child’s procedure as safely and efficiently as possible. Our team of pediatric cancer surgeons accomplishes this through teamwork. We also use the best available technology, sophisticated tools, and advanced techniques.
Features of our sarcoma surgery program include:
- A nationally renowned pathology team: Pathologists analyze tissue samples to diagnose diseases. At Children’s National, our pathologists specialize in pediatric cancer. Their expertise assures the most accurate diagnosis and cancer staging.
- Unmatched orthopaedic cancer specialization: Our team includes the only pediatric orthopaedic surgeon in Washington, DC, and Maryland who specializes in treating children with cancer. Learn more about Dr. Robert Henshaw’s practice and experience.
- Three-dimensional (3-D) printing: We are one of the first programs in the country using 3-D printing to meticulously plan surgeries. This helps us produce a life-like model of your child’s tumor and surrounding tissue. Examining the model helps us more accurately remove the tumor while minimizing disruption to healthy tissue.
- Intraoperative imaging: Using intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) provides our team detailed images of your child’s tumor in real time while we are operating on it. This way, we can ensure the success of a surgery before we finish.
- Minimally invasive surgery: Our goal is to use the least invasive surgical technique while delivering the most effective surgery. We are the first program in the country to use incision-free magnetic resonance-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound (MR-HIFU) to treat painful bone tumors.
- Limb-sparing expertise: As a parent of a child with a bone or soft tissue sarcoma in their arm or leg, you want to make sure treatments avoid the need for amputation. Our surgical team specializes in limb-sparing techniques that preserve as much healthy tissue as possible.
For more information or to make an appointment, call us at 202-476-6701 or meet the team.
Make an Appointment
Children's National in Your Neighborhood
Did you know we have 4 locations in Northern Virginia?
Find a Children's Location Near You
Find a Provider