Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine
The Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine and the Adolescent Health Center are the only comprehensive health care services of their kind for adolescents and young adults in the metropolitan Washington, DC area. Each year, nearly 10,000 adolescents receive care at the various clinics that make up these programs, many of which offer unique specialty care that is not available anywhere else in the region.
The programs provide consultative and primary care to adolescents and young adults between the ages of 12 and 21 experiencing a wide range of conditions including acne, eating disorders, gynecological and reproductive health problems, sports injuries, substance abuse, and gender identity issues.
The Adolescent Health Center, is the focal point for many of these services. This health center, provides comprehensive, primary care for individuals in this age group. In addition, consultative care is provided to patients referred from other primary care providers and to some younger patients with developmental or maturational problems.
Adolescent Health Center services include:
- Routine and sports physicals
- Acne and skin care
- Nutrition counseling
- Prescription refills
- Diagnosis and treatment of acute illness (i.e. colds, flu, sore throats, acne)
- Health education
- Asthma care
- Contraception and birth control evaluation and care
- Care and support for transgender and gender-nonconforming youth
- Sexually transmitted infections and HIV screening and treatment
- Lactation consultation
- Pregnancy diagnosis counseling and referral
Specialty services include:
- The Youth Pride Clinic is a specialized clinic within the Adolescent Health Center providing comprehensive, integrated medical care and mental health services to LGBTQ teen patients.
- Learn more about our related care programs, including services for teen moms and HIV positive children and teens.The division and its clinics accept referrals for patients with a wide assortment of insurance programs. Patients should bring or fax copies of their primary care doctor’s referral to the clinic they are visiting.
Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine Team