Women Infants and Children (WIC)
WIC (Women Infants and Children) is a supplemental food program that promotes good health for low to moderate- income mothers, infants and children. WIC food is high in nutrients such as protein, calcium, iron and vitamins A and C. WIC's mission is to safeguard the health of eligible applicants to the program by providing:
- Breastfeeding support and education
- Supplemental nutritious foods (cereal, milk, cheese, eggs, juice, beans, peanut butter, infant formula, juice and cereal) at no cost
- Nutrition education and counseling at WIC clinics
- A means of saving money that can be used to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, baby foods, and other foods that WIC does not provide
- Screening referrals to other health, welfare and social services
- Vouchers to buy WIC approved fruits and vegetables from authorized Farmers' Markets
Who may enroll in the WIC Program?
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women (up to infant's first birthday)
- Non-breastfeeding postpartum women (after pregnancy ends or up to 6 months after the birth of an infant)
- Infants and children up to five years old who live in DC, have a medical and/or nutritional risk, or meet our liberal income guidelines
To be eligible for WIC Program, you must meet all categorical, residential, income and medical/nutrition eligibility requirements. You may contact your local Children's Hospital WIC Clinic to schedule an appointment to determine if WIC is a good fit for your needs.
For more information on WIC, check out the USDA web site.
Where do I apply for WIC?
111 Michigan Ave NW
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m
Wed: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
| Children’s Health Center – THEARC|
1901 Mississippi Ave SE
Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.; First and second Thursdays of the month 3-7 p.m.
First and second Saturdays of the month 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
|Children's Health Center - Adams Morgan|
1630 Euclid St NW
Mon, Tues, Fri 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
| Children's Health Center - Anacostia|
2101 Martin Luther King Jr Avenue SE 5th Floor
Mon: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Tues - Fri: 8 - 4:30 p.m.
Jayasri Janakiram Director, CPHC Nutrition Services WIC Coordinator202-476-5594.