PANDA Palliative Care
The PANDA Palliative Care Team at Children’s National is a team of medical professionals who work with health care team members to provide extra support for infants, children, adolescents and young adults with serious illnesses and their families. We work to prevent, reduce and soothe suffering, and help patients and their families cope with the stress of dealing with complicated medical problems.
The Palliative Care Team
Palliative care services are available for children from birth through young adulthood with any life-threatening condition and their families. Families may request assistance from the PANDA Palliative Care Team at any time during their child’s illness, even if they are not currently staying at the hospital (as an inpatient).
The Palliative Care Team includes professionals from many disciplines:
Palliative Care Services for Patients and Families
The goal of the PANDA Palliative Care Team is to partner with patients, families and the primary medical team to develop a collaborative plan of care that will meet the needs and goals of the child and family. The team focuses on comfort and quality of life for patients and works alongside the primary medical team while they focus on treating the underlying illnesses. We support you and your family by:
- Achieving optimal quality of life for patients
- Supporting effective communication between the patient, family and members of the primary health care team
- Helping families understand a child’s prognosis and treatment side effects
- Recognizing and treating symptoms early
- Relieving pain and suffering
- Determining discharge options and planning for care at home
- Coordinating integrative and alternative therapies such as massage, acupuncture and aromatherapy to improve pain and manage symptoms
- Assisting with spiritual and ethical concerns
- Supporting siblings and extended family members
Palliative Care Website Resources
Contacting the PANDA Palliative Care Team
If you would like to speak with a member of the PANDA Palliative Care Team, please call 202-476-4256 and someone will return your call or you can email us at email@example.com.
- David Steinhorn, M.D.
- Melanie Anspacher, M.D.
- Laila Mahmood, M.D., M.P.H.
- Deborah Lafond, DNP
- Elizabeth Bettini, CNS
- Deborah Fisher, PPCNP
- Catherine Habashy, M.D.
- Marsha Smith, RN
- Adrienne Bacchus, MEd, MSW, LGSW