Children's National Language Services
Children’s National Medical Center is committed to assisting with communication between speakers of English as a Second Language, and patients and families who may be deaf or hard of hearing. Qualified interpreters are available for patients and families at no cost seven days a week, 24 hours a day, including on-site interpreters in the Emergency Department, for as long as the patient or family needs assistance. Having a trained medical interpreter ensures that the communication between you and our hospital staff is complete and accurate.
Interpretation Modalities Provided to Patients and Families
- Face to face Sign Language interpretation with professional medical interpreters.
- Face to face foreign language interpretation with professional medical interpreters.
- Video remote interpretation services available for spoken languages and sign language.
- Dual handset phones are available throughout the institution for over the phone interpretation.
If you are making an appointment at Children’s, and you will need an interpreter, we will be happy to assist you.
To contact Children’s National Medical Center (*)
To make an appointment (*)
- You can contact our hospital operator at 202-476-5000.
- Please mention to the operator that you need an interpreter and for what language.
If your child is an inpatient or visiting the ER
- Dial 1-888-884-BEAR (2327).
- Please mention to the operator and/or scheduler that you will need an interpreter the day of your visit.
(*)Deaf and hard of hearing families, we recommend using the 711 National Telecommunications Relay Service prior to contact our Access Center or Operators.
- Please let your nurse or member of the medical team know that you will need an interpreter and they will help you gain access to these services.