Special Category Volunteer Application
Thank you for your interest in participating in the Special Category Volunteer Program at Children's National Hospital, an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In order to begin the Special Category application process you must have confirmed with a Children's National staff member that they will serve as your supervisor while you volunteer, observe and/or shadow in their department . The position description and volunteer start and end dates must have been established at the time of application submission.
Volunteers may not begin their assignment nor receive an ID badge until they receive an acceptance email from the Volunteer Services Department.
Please follow these steps to complete your application (the full process takes an average of 6-8 weeks):
- Read the orientation packet and confidentiality agreement.
- Fill out and submit the online application. Once your application is received, the listed supervisor will be contacted by the Volunteer Services office to verify the submitted information.
- If you are a U.S. Visa or ESTA Visa waiver holder, please email us copy.
- Complete the online safety quiz and error prevention training (answers can be found in the orientation packet).
- Complete the Special Category Volunteer Medical Packet in full and submit forms in one email directly to Occupational Health. Please note that this step typically takes the longest.
- Once steps 1-5 are completed, you will receive an email with instructions on how to complete your online background check. Please note that we cannot run your background check until we’ve received your medical clearance from Occupational Health.
- Once your background check has cleared, you will receive a final clearance email from the Volunteer Services office with instructions regarding obtaining your ID badge.
Please note that all applicants are subject to a complete background investigation performed by an outside agency. Checks typically take 2-7 days to complete; however, some checks can take longer.