What patients and families need to know
Telehealth appointments provide families the opportunity to see their health care providers remotely through video visits from the comfort of their own homes. We offer both primary and specialty care appointments through telehealth. These appointments are available to new or existing Children’s National Hospital patients in Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia, and can be done using a phone, tablet or computer.
No matter where you’re located, we’re making it easier for you and your child to get care by:
- Minimizing time taken off of work and school
- Minimizing time traveling to and from your doctor’s office
- Extending virtual appointment hours beyond the typical workday
- Helping you manage medications and medication renewals with your doctor
- Offering payments through FSA, Flex and similar accounts
- Increasing access for families who live far from our locations
Scheduling an Appointment
Telehealth appointments are available during normal Children’s National business hours. If you would like to schedule an appointment, please call our appointment line at 1-888-884-BEAR (2327).
Before your appointment, please read our instructions for telehealth appointments. You will also need to read or listen to our telehealth consent form before your scheduled video visit.
If you’re interested in more information, contact us via this form.
Insurance companies may provide coverage for telehealth visits. Please check with your insurance carrier or health plan to determine if and how your telehealth appointment will be covered and billed.
Your Zoom video visit will be secure and compliant with federal HIPAA regulations. Children’s National uses a paid version of Zoom with a number of additional security features. This is not the same version of Zoom that is free to everyone and has been involved in recently reported incidents of “Zoom-bombing.”
Some of our additional security measures include:
- Families are not required to create a Zoom account when joining their telehealth video visit.
- Providers must admit each participant to the Zoom appointment. No one can join the meeting without approval from the provider, so we have full control over participants.
- Features such as chatting, uploading and downloading files, etc. are disabled in our Zoom account.
- IP addresses are hidden for all video participants.
- Video visits are not recorded.
Telehealth services are available for non-English speakers. View the list of languages
(PDF) that are available with a real-time, video or audio interpreter. Please notify your care team, or let us know at the beginning of your appointment if you need an interpreter.
A prescription may be issued based on your provider’s recommendations for your child’s condition.