The skill and expertise of the orthopaedic team at Children's National Health System attracts families from the region, country, and world. We are proud to have one of the most experienced pediatric orthopaedic practices in the nation.
Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine at Children's National
At Children's National, we know that children are not simply miniature adults. Their small bodies are still in the process of growing, so they require specialized pediatric care. Our team has the expertise and resources to provide skilled orthopaedic that will promote healthy physical and neurological growth in your child. From casting a broken bone to surgery for a complex orthopaedic condition, our experts care for the full range of conditions and injuries.
Features of our orthopaedic services include:
- The only pediatric sports program in the region. Many sports medicine programs focus on adults, but treat children as well. Children's National is the only child-focused program in the region. Our team has specific training and experience in treating pediatric sports injuries, from young children to older teenagers.
- Growth-plate sparing surgery. We use advanced surgical methods so we can treat your child without affecting his or her growth. In fact, we are national experts in pediatric-specific techniques to repair an injury or treat a condition while protecting your child's physical development. Learn more about how we use intraoperative CT imaging and VEPTR to provide advanced treatment for children.
- Minimally invasive surgery. Whenever possible, we use a minimally invasive surgical approach so we can treat your child with minimal pain and scarring. Learn more about minimally invasive orthopaedic surgery at Children's National.
- Age-appropriate pediatric care. Children are different from pre-teens, who are different from teenagers. Each stage of development requires unique care and a specialized approach. Our team understands these subtle differences and knows how to treat each child most effectively, from birth to 21 years of age.
- Team approach. We collaborate with other experts and departments to offer your child comprehensive services. For example, we routinely work with our physical therapists, concussion program, and nutrition services so we can ensure your child is receiving the full spectrum of care.
- Fracture Clinic. In order to treat a high volume of fractures in a timely fashion, our team has dedicated Fracture Clinic time throughout the week to see urgent cases. Our casting techs are available, and we also have dedicated time in the operating room, if necessary. Fracture clinics are run primarily by attending physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners at different times during the week.
We also are the only hospital in the region to treat young children with spinal conditions. Learn more about our spine program.
Meet Our Team
Our expertise sets us apart from other orthopaedic programs. Our dedicated team has extensive experience in pediatric orthopaedic care, combining our technical expertise with a compassionate touch. We place an emphasis on communication by meeting regularly with patients and their families to explain all stages of treatment and answer questions.
The Children's National orthopaedic team includes:
- Athletic trainer with specific expertise in children and teens. Our trainer helps with home care, including self-directed physical therapy, and does outreach at local high schools to help schools with their athletic programs.
- Physician with a pediatric sports fellowship
- Physicians with pediatric orthopaedic fellowships
- Staff members who are active in local and national pediatric orthopaedic societies as well as scoliosis research societies
- International experts in pediatric bone health medicine
- Pediatric nurse practitioners who specialize in orthopaedics
- Pediatric physical therapists
In addition, our orthopaedic team regularly collaborates with other departments to offer your child the most comprehensive care possible. We work with:
- Pediatric endocrinologists
- Pediatric neuromuscular disorder specialists
- Pediatric neurologists
- Genetics department
- Neurofibromatosis specialists
- Fetal and transitional medicine clinic (to provide prenatal diagnosis)
- Concussion program
- Weight clinic (for adolescent athletes struggling with obesity)
Children's National: Orthopaedic Locations
Children's National sophisticated orthopaedic facilities and operating rooms are child-friendly. We use specially sized equipment to accommodate our smaller patients. In addition, we've created a soothing, healing environment to maximize your child's comfort.
For the convenience of patients and parents, all of our orthopaedic services, including casting, X-rays, and surgical procedures are available at:
We also perform outpatient procedures at the: