Inflammatory Bowel Disease Program
Caring for inflammatory bowel disease requires more than one single solution. Learn more about the current treatment options for IBD.
Inflammatory bowel disease, or IBD, is a chronic inflammatory disease of the digestive tract. IBD includes a number of conditions, including ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. IBD can be painful, and may severely affect your child’s quality of life.
At Children’s National Health System, we work with your child and family to manage all aspects of IBD. From diagnosis to ongoing care, our expert IBD team members combine their skills and experience in a warm, compassionate environment.
IBD Clinic at Children’s National: Why Choose Us
When your child has IBD, it affects their physical and emotional health. Children’s National IBD Clinic takes a holistic approach to care, offering comprehensive services to help your child feel better and enjoy daily activities, including sports, friends, and school. Features of our IBD Clinic include:
- Experienced physicians. All of our physicians are board certified in pediatric gastroenterology, with years of experience diagnosing and treating children with IBD. They have dedicated their careers to caring for children who are living with these chronic digestive conditions.
- Accessible team. Our IBD Clinic members are available whenever you need us. We communicate regularly with your family and your child’s pediatrician, making sure to provide coordinated and uninterrupted care. If you have questions or concerns, we make sure to respond in a timely and efficient manner.
- Full spectrum of care. From expert diagnosis to medical management to surgery, our IBD Clinic provides services for every aspect of your child’s care. This includes seamless transitional care as your child moves into adulthood.
- Child-centered care. Our team members understand that children are not simply mini adults. We use specialized techniques and technology to diagnose and treat your child. Our radiology department, endoscopy suite and infusion facilities are designed to deliver age-appropriate, family and child-centered care.
- Nutrition and development. As part of our child-centered philosophy, our IBD team understands the importance of proper nutrition so your child can grow and develop. A pediatric dietician is an important part of your child’s team, ensuring that your child receives the necessary nutrients to promote healthy growth.
- Community Involvement. Our care providers work closely with the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America and the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition to help support and advocate for our patients.
- Experienced surgeons. Our surgeons are highly skilled and specialize in the care of children with IBD, for those rare cases when surgery is necessary. We have dedicated pediatric wound and ostomy nurses who care for your child if needed. Learn more about general and thoracic surgery for children at Children’s National.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Program
In This Section:
We design our health care with kids in mind, and deliver assurance when parents need it most.
Have a question about a specific disease or condition or treatments or services we offer?
We see children locally and globally who need the kind of specialized expertise and child-focused care we offer.
Our providers represent medical and surgical specialties, family practice, and general pediatrics.
Pediatric specialists work closely to ensure an integrated approach to care for each child and family.
We offer resources for families to help answer questions and ease your child’s hospital experience.
We provide a wide range of clinical services, specialties and treatments dedicated to improving children’s health.