The Community Education program at Children’s gives parents and caregivers the opportunity to learn from the experts. We offer classes throughout the DC Metropolitan area so that you can access the expertise of Children's close to home.
Child Safety Seat Purchase Program
Residents of the District of Columbia may purchase a car seat at Children’s Hospital at a reduced rate, as available. Simply present proof of residence to our Admissions Office. The prices are as follows:
Toddler seats @ $30.00
Booster seats @ $30.00
Residents of Maryland may contact the Kids in Safety Seats program at 800-370-SEAT. Residents of Virginia should contact their county health department.
Four out of five car seats are installed incorrectly. Don't let yours be one of them!
The Safe Kids DC Car Seat Inspection Station staff can check your car seat and make sure your child is riding safely. Parents are also instructed on how to install their child’s car seat themselves so they will feel more confident about their child’s safety!
Car seat inspections are performed at :
- Providence Hospital on the first Tuesday of the first week of the month, Tuesday and Wednesday of the second and fourth week of the month, Wednesday of the third week of the month from 10:30 AM - 3:30 PM.
1150 Varnum St., NE WDC 20018
- Children's Health Center - THEARC on Thursdays & Fridays from 10:30AM - 3:30PM
1901 Mississippi Ave., SE
- Children's Emergency Department at United Medical Center on the first Wednesday of the first week of the month from 10:30 AM - 3:30 PM.
1310 Southern Ave., SE
No appointment is necessary.
Are Car Seats Safe?
An article in the March 1, 2009 edition of the Chicago Tribune suggested that unpublicized government crash tests from 2008 may have revealed "flaws" in car seats. While the details of the tests are still unclear, one thing remains undisputed: car seats save children's lives every day. It is critical that parents and caregivers continue to use car seats for their children.
Correctly used car seats and booster seats are extremely effective, reducing the risk of death in a crash by as much as 71 percent. And the number of children killed in crashes over the past 30 years has dropped significantly, mostly due to the widespread use of car seats and enhanced child passenger safety laws.
Safe Kids USA always puts children and their safety first. Despite the report in the Tribune, the car seats on the market today are still the best, proven way to protect children in the event of a crash. Parents should continue to buckle their children in the right car seat or booster seat on every ride.
Safe Kids believes that more testing for car seats and vehicles can only continue to advance the child passenger safety field and improve the level of protection we can offer children when they ride. The more we know about car seats and how they react in crashes, the better equipped we will be to push for new technology and improvements that will keep children safer.
But there are a few important things a parent can do today to make sure their child is getting the best protection when using a car seat or booster seat:
- Always use the right restraint for your child's height, weight and developmental age.
- Read and follow the manufacturer's instructions that came with the car seat.
- Make sure your car seat and vehicle work together. For example, the largest car seat on the market may not fit in a compact car as well as a smaller car seat. Remember all seats meet the same Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
- Get help installing your seat the right way. Find a Safe Kids car seat checkup event in your area . A certified car seat technician will guide you to the right seat for your child and vehicle and teach you how to install it correctly.
- All children under 13 should ride in a backseat.
Pre-surgical Orientation Program
Help your child prepare for surgery. The Pre-Surgical Orientation Program is offered Sunday afternoons at the hospital and by appointment at Children’s Ambulatory Surgery Center at the Montgomery County Outpatient Center in Rockville.
Back to Top