Your child may need plastic and reconstructive surgery if he or she has a condition affecting the body’s appearance and function. We may recommend surgery for children with congenital birth defects that affect the skull, face, hands, feet, or skin. At Children’s National Health System, our expert plastic and reconstructive surgery team works together to help children look and feel their best.
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Children’s National: Why Choose Us
Knowing your child needs surgery may leave you feeling overwhelmed. At Children’s National, you can feel confident that your child is in excellent, compassionate hands. Our surgeons have dedicated their careers to plastic surgery procedures for babies, children, and teens. We treat a high volume of children every year, translating into a superior level of experience for our team.
Features of our services include:
- Unparalleled expertise. Our team is one of the few in the country focusing exclusively on children’s reconstructive surgery needs. Our surgeons all have fellowship training in pediatric plastic surgery. We understand the unique requirements of performing surgery for children who are still growing and developing. Families come to us from around the world because of our superior expertise with children.
- Compassionate care. Our high volume means that these procedures are routine for us. But we understand that it is not routine for you. We work closely with you to explain any procedures, discuss treatment options, and answer any questions you may have. We encourage you to be an active member of your child’s medical team.
- Access to pediatric specialists. Your child has access to physicians in more than 40 pediatric subspecialties. We have the largest pediatric specialty presence in the Washington, D.C., area. Our team provides the full spectrum of care, no matter what your child needs.
- Personalized treatment. Plastic and reconstructive surgery is not one-size-fits-all. Each child is unique. We first obtain an accurate diagnosis, then we evaluate the treatment options, creating a plan that will offer your child the best outcome.
- Advanced facilities. We designed our operating room and equipment especially for children, including a waiting area nearby for families. We are also the only facility in the area to guarantee 24/7 access to a pediatric anesthesiologist.
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery: Advanced Techniques and Research
We use the latest surgical technology to ensure a safe, effective procedure for your child. Our priority is to get your child back to the important work of being a child, as quickly and safely as possible. For example, we use:
- Resorbable implants, which eliminate the need for a second surgery to remove the implant.
- Pain distraction therapy. During the surgery, we use this therapy to help your child cope with the procedure. Our specialists first get to know your child and find out if he or she has specific anxieties and concerns. Then we tailor a personalized pain distraction therapy plan.
In addition, we are leading the way in plastic surgery research. We are actively involved in research so we can continue to refine, develop, and improve our understanding of conditions requiring plastic surgery and new techniques to treat them.
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery: Meet Our Team
Your child’s team includes pediatric specialists from many disciplines. We work together to obtain an accurate diagnosis and create a personalized treatment plan. Together with you, we decide on the approach that offers your child the best outcome. Your child’s team includes:
- Pediatric plastic and reconstructive surgeons
- Oral surgeon
- Otolaryngologist (ENT)
- Speech pathologist
- Physician assistants
- Nurse practitioners and nurses
- Pediatric anesthesiologists
- A compassionate, accessible administrative staff
We never consider a procedure routine. For each child’s case, our specialists carry out a thorough evaluation before deciding on an individualized
course of treatment.
In addition to our dedicated pediatric specialists, our operating room equipment and facilities are designed for children, with waiting and resting areas
close by for families. During the procedure, Children’s National guarantees that your child’s anesthesia is administered by a fellowship-trained pediatric