Your First Visit
To make an appointment with one of our providers at our main campus, primary and specialty health centers, you can be referred by your child’s primary care provider or another specialist, or you can call us directly. With more than 50 specialty services including Cardiology, Diabetes, and Surgery, our regional outpatient centers and affiliated private practices provide the same quality care and outpatient procedures as the hospital, in a location closer to you.
For routine problems and check-ups, please call as far in advance as possible so that we may schedule an appointment at a time that is convenient for your family. If your child has chronic or ongoing medical problems or illness, please let us know so we can schedule accordingly.
- Confirm your appointment time. Call and confirm ahead of time, and at your child’s first appointment, ask how best to confirm future appointments.
- Bring photo identification. Parents or legal guardians must be with the child at all times. The parent or legal guardian must provide written permission in order for anyone else to accompany the child to the appointment.
- Find out if your child needs lab work. After their initial appointment, your child may need blood work, urine specimens, or other advanced lab tests before their next appointment. If so, ask if these tests can take place through your pediatrician to save your family time and a trip to the lab. For advanced tests, ask the outpatient center where the results should be faxed or sent, and bring a copy of the lab work results to your child’s next appointment.
- Bring your child’s medical history. Share any charts, journals, or other helpful prompts you use to record important information about your child’s condition, medications, and treatments.
- Schedule follow-up visits before you leave. This is an easy way to help make sure your child receives timely medical care.
- Bring insurance card. We accept private payments, Medicaid, and nearly every insurance plan so check with your provider to be certain our physicians and/or practices are participating providers. Bring any referrals your insurance requires for testing or being seeing a specialist. Please bring your insurance card with you because we review your information at every visit. Co-pay is collected at time of service. Additionally, we provide care to children and families in our service area regardless of ability to pay. If a patient does not have insurance, we can help get coverage or financial support. Learn more about insurance and billing.
Forms for your appointment
We also ask that you fill out intake forms for one of the following specialties prior to your visit. If you are unsure what to bring, call the department you are scheduled to visit. If you are unable to bring a completed copy, we will provide you with a blank one when you arrive:
Please consult your physician’s office or our customer service representatives if you are unsure what forms you need and when you need to submit them. If you have any questions, call our Customer Service Department at 301-572-3542 or 800-787-0021 or email email@example.com.
Review our parking tips.
Please view online location maps of, and driving directions to, each of our locations in Washington, DC, Maryland, Virginia, and Delaware. Please arrive early to fill out registration forms and to check in. Make sure to check the website due to problems with GPS for some of our locations.