My colleagues are seeking answers to very important research questions
Thursday, April 28, 2011
this time of year? The Pediatric Academic Society annual national conference
is coming up and there is a wide range of truly outstanding research being presented there by my pediatric colleagues-- faculty, residents, and students alike! Here I'll make brief mention of just a few, to stimulate your interest (in pediatric research, in our researchers, in peer review, in the dissemination of findings)...But how old are the bones?
Drink your milk... or not?
- "In Patients with Premature Adrenarche, Bone Age Advancement by 2 or More Years Is Relatively Common and Generally Benign." Authors: DJ DeSalvo, R Mehra, P Vaidyanathan, PB Kaplowitz
From where (on the map) are those non-urgent ED visits coming?
- "Respiratory Infections and Vitamin D." Authors: SF Iqbal, EV Mosenkis, P Jain, AWiles, JLerner, AS Benton, JM Chamberlain, RJ Freishtat, SJ Teach
And, regarding adolescents:
- "A Geospatial Analysis of Non-Urgent Visits to a Pediatric Emergency Department." Authors: DJ Mathison, N Cowan, R Engstrom, JM Chamberlain, L Fu, S Teach
Regarding neonates... and neuroprotection?
- "Why Do Adolescents Present to the Emergency Department Instead of to Their Primary Care Provider?" Authors: AL Weiss, LJ D'Angelo, LK Tuchman, A Rucker
We're family-centered, but what are we doing?
- "Biomarkers of MRI Brain Injury in Neonatal Encephalopathy (NE) Treated with Hypothermia" Authors: A Massaro, N Kadom, T Chang, K Nelson, G Vezina
You want a pediatric career, but...
- "A Time Motion Study of Family Centered Rounds: What Are We Doing?" Authors: P Bhansali, S Birch, J Campbell, E Krieger, D Agrawal, W Hoffner, G Miyashita, P Manicone, M Ottolini
How do families decide about infant sleep position?
- "Does Practice Setting Affect Pediatric Hospitalist Career Satisfaction?" Authors: LA Pane, AB Davis, MC Ottolini
- Can you "Move Your Career Forward as a Clinician-Educator"? Speaker: MC Ottolini
You like to teach about pediatrics, but are your learners learning?
- "Factors Influencing Infant Sleep Position: Decisions Do Not Differ by SES in African-American Families." Authors: D Robida, R Oden, B Joyner, R Moon
Will your pediatric patient be receiving Medicaid next time you see them?
- "Activating Learners: How To Increase the Depth and Breadth of Learning" Co-Leaders: MC Ottolini, L Greenberg
What have duty hour limits done?
- Maternal and Child Patterns of Medicaid Retention. Authors: S Pati, Z Mohamad, X Luan, SK Bhatt, A Cnaan
What if that tube comes out?
- "Have Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Duty Hour Limits Made a Difference? A Re-Examination of Resident Sleep, Mental Health, Education, and Safety Seven Years Later." Authors: H Kim, BL Wiedermann
It occurred on both sides?
- "Impact of Unplanned Extubations in a Children's Hospital." Authors: D Klugman, JT Berger, J Galiote, DC Stockwell
And the mold, you can do something about it!
- Bilateral Pediatric Skull Fractures: Accident or Injury? Authors: N Atkinson, N Kadom, D Mathison
- "Mold: A Modifiable Risk Factor in Pediatric Asthma." Authors: SF Iqbal, J Lerner, A Wiles, AS Benton, JM Chamberlain, RJ Freishtat
more (like some bacterial colonies, too numerous to count
). There are also many opportunities to be mentored on a research project and to develop ideas of your own. Our faculty are interested in working with trainees, as is true at pediatric hospitals all over. See Children's Research Institute
Read the literature, scan the table of contents of your favorite journals on a regular basis, identify what unanswered questions remain (!), and link up with others to collaborate on a new study idea. Always think about the "so what
" question, that is, with a well-defined research question and well planned study, what impact will you have?My research
focus has been to better understand access to health information
on the internet and more recently to explore those gray areas of online professionalism
, medical school, and education in the context of Web 2.0 (not intending to cross any boundaries myself!)... and reflective lifelong learning in any context.
next project idea?
About the Expert
Terry Kind, MD, MPH, is Director of Pediatric Medical Student Education at Children's National Health System. For the last decade she has also served as a primary care pediatrician at the Children's National Health Center at Martin Luther King, Jr., Avenue, in Washington, DC.