Children's National Celiac Disease Program to Host Sixth Annual Gluten-Free Expo
June 08, 2016
Washington, DC – On June 12, 2016, the Children’s National Health System Celiac Disease Program will host the sixth annual Gluten-Free Expo, held at the Doubletree Bethesda Hotel (8120 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20814). The expo, which begins at 11 am, is a day-long event aimed at educating children and families with celiac disease and gluten-free diets. More than 2,000 attendees are expected to attend.
Gluten sensitivity affects millions of people across the United States. At Children’s National, a team of expert physicians, nurses, nutritional consultants, and professional counselors are dedicated to developing adaptable models for treating children who suffer from celiac disease. During the expo, attendees will be able to interact with this group of experts, while sampling gluten-free food and products.
“We are thrilled to be in our sixth year of the expo, and looking forward to a great day of gluten-free food, fun, and education,” said John Snyder, MD, Division Chief of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition. During this educational event, Dr. Snyder will join colleagues in speaking with attendees about the latest innovations in celiac disease research and managing a gluten-free diet.
During the day, experts will cover the following topics:
- Setting Up the Perfect Gluten-Free Pantry – Emily Freedner, Certified Health Coach, Children’s National Health System
- Traveling on a Gluten-Free Diet – Joyana Peters McMahon, Gluten-Free Travel Writer
- Better Nutrition for Gluten-Free Baking – Vanessa Weisbrod, Director of Community Programs Celiac Disease Program, Children’s National Health System
- State of Celiac Disease and Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity - A Review of the Research – John Snyder, Division Chief, Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Children’s National Health System
- Gluten and the Autoimmune Connection – David Shocket, MD, Section Director of Gastroenterology at MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- Planning for a Safe Gluten-Free School Year – Laura Hashiguchi, RD, LD/LDN, Celiac Disease Program, Children’s National Health System
To learn more, visit http://www.dcglutenfreeexpo.com