Wednesday, March 9, 2016
The 2016 Pediatric Neurology Update is the 26th Annual Symposium coordinated by the Center for Neuroscience and Behavioral Medicine at Children’s National.
This year’s focus will be split between two sessions, the first of which will take place on March 9, 2016, with a focus on pediatric headache. View the event brochure here.
Pediatric headache is the most common neurologic condition in children and adolescents seen by pediatricians, neurologists, and pediatric care providers, yet is often resistant to basic treatment strategies. Patients with headaches have a variety of educational, medication, and psychological needs to improve their pain and disability associated with activities of normal living. An integrative program with the support of a medical team with expertise in headache should include neurologists, anesthesiologists, pain psychologists, and nursing.
The objectives for the Pediatric Neurology Update Headache Symposium are to present interdisciplinary strategies for the treatment of headache and provide practical, up-to-date evidence to help healthcare providers reduce patient disability and improve quality of life.
- Define the primary headache disorders
- Describe evidence for diagnostic studies to differentiate primary and secondary headache types
- Describe current theories of headache pathophysiology in relation to therapeutic targets
- Describe evidence for abortive and preventative medications used to treat primary headache disorders
- Describe evidence for psychological management including cognitive behavioral therapy in the treatment of primary headache disorders
- Describe evidence and background for using invasive procedures for the treatment of headache including botox, trigger points, nerve blocks, and infusions
This conference is intended for neurologists, neurosurgeons, pediatricians, neuropsychologists, nurses/nurse practitioners, allied neuroscientists, and pediatric healthcare professionals.
What: 26th Annual Pediatric Neurology Update: Headache Symposium
When: Wednesday, March 9, 2016
8 am-1 pm
Where: Children’s National Health System
111 Michigan Ave NW
Washington, DC 20010
For more details and to register, click here.