Solid tumors consist of an abnormal mass of tissue, which may stem from a number of different tissue types such as liver, kidney, bone, muscle, or other organs. At Children’s National Health System, our Solid Tumor Program brings together all the specialists your child needs in one location. We treat a high volume of patients, translating into unparalleled diagnosis and treatment expertise.
At Children’s National, we provide comprehensive care for children with solid tumors, from initial diagnosis to treatment and follow up.
Features of our solid tumor program include:
- Leaders in solid tumor care. Our team includes some of the world’s foremost experts in solid tumors. Their expertise goes beyond diagnosis and treatment. We are actively involved in research to bring even better treatment options to the field.
- Wide range of expertise. We treat all types of solid tumors. Our pathologists and solid tumor specialists have experience with even the rarest types of tumors. Our breadth and depth of knowledge means that your child is receiving an accurate diagnosis and an effective, individualized treatment plan.
- Comprehensive treatments. We offer the full range of treatments, including chemotherapy, radiation therapy and surgery. Learn more about oncology surgery at Children’s National.
- Access to clinical trials. Your child has access to the most innovative medications and treatment techniques. We will discuss with you the possibility of enrolling your child in one of our clinical trials. Many of these are national trials that Children’s National is running right here at our own facility. Learn about our magnetic resonance guided high intensity focused ultrasound (MR-HIFU) treatment for solid tumors.
- Collaborative care. Diagnosing and treating solid tumors involves the efforts of many different specialists. Our solid tumor board holds weekly meetings where our team of experts gathers to discuss complex cases and make recommendations for next steps.
- Family support. Our broad support system includes services for your child’s emotional and mental health, as well as amenities for hospital stays support and comprehensive services for families.
Our solid tumor team members also participate in our specialized sarcoma clinic. Sarcomas, a specific type of solid tumors, require specialized care. In our multidisciplinary clinic, you and your child meet with a full team of specialists who provide personalized care for children with sarcomas.
During your visit, we review your scans in our sarcoma tumor board, discuss your child’s case and develop a comprehensive care plan. The team includes:
- Solid tumor physicians
- Orthopedic oncologists
- Musculoskeletal radiologists
- Physical therapist who specializes in cancer patients
- Radiation oncologists
The Solid Tumor Program at Children’s National has an expert team of pediatric specialists. All of these healthcare providers are right here at our center, so your child can receive effective and efficient care without having to travel to different facilities.
Our team includes:
- Radiation oncologists
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Nurse practitioners
- Laboratory scientists who specialize in treating children with solid tumors
We work closely with our cancer genetics division. We can easily arrange for referrals to that division for patients who have a family history of cancer or who are at high risk for cancer.