News Releases - 2013SCORE Team Attends DC Special Olympics - May 21, 2013
The SCORE concussion team was proud to take part in the DC Special Olympics. The team provided educational games and handouts for athletes, coaches, and caretakers in the healthy athletes tent. The SCORE Program was very excited for the opportunity to provide concussion education to these athletes on their special day!
Gerard Gioia, PhD and Catherine McGill, PsyD Participate in the NFL Safety Ambassadors Training - May 7, 2013
The SCORE program’s Gerard Gioia, PhD and Catherine McGill, PsyD attended USA Football’s Heads Up Ambassador Training in Indianapolis, IN. More than 75 retired professional football players were selected to be the Heads Up Ambassadors, where they become educated on head-safe football techniques that they will use to inform their communities.
Dr. Gioia spoke to the group about a key ingredient to the program, early concussion recognition and response. Drs. Gioia and McGill also met with the USA Football staff and the NCAA Injury surveillance group, Datalys, about proposed research to study the efficacy of new tackling methods using head accelerometry, and the neurocognitive and symptom tools that the Children's National Medical Center team has pioneered for kids.
Washingtonian’s Choses Children’s National’s Gerard Gioia, PhD, for ‘People Who Are Shaping Washington’ – Jan. 8, 2013
- Gerard Gioia, PhD, was featured in the January issue of Washingtonian Magazine for his hard work and dedication to helping ensure doctors, parents, and coaches properly recognize and respond to concussions among youth athletes.
News Releases - 2012
- SCORE Program Holds Fundraising Event at Old Angler’s Inn – Nov. 5, 2012
- More than 130 supporters of the SCORE Concussion Program gathered at the Old Angler’s Inn Monday to help “Knock out Concussions for Kids.” The program raised more than $22,000, which will go toward concussion research and education.
- A New Course for Concussions – Oct. 10, 2012
- Children’s National Medical Center’s Gerard Gioia, PhD, pediatric neuropsychologist, and Marc DiFazio, MD, neurologist, discuss the topic of rest following a concussion.Gerry Gioia, MD, and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell discuss safety in youth sports at Centreville High School- October 10, 2012
- Gerard Gioia, MD, Speaks at NFL Health & Safety Luncheon – Aug. 22, 2012
- The NFL’s luncheon was part of the NFL’s focus on raising awareness among parents of the problem of concussions in youth sports, and off the field as well. Gerard Gioia, PhD, along with other speakers, encouraged coaches to take a progressive, step-by-step approach to teaching tackling technique, and to take the CDC’s free, online concussion training program for coaches. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell concluded by stating, “When in doubt, sit them out."