Affiliate Orientation Resources
For Nursing School Faculty and Nursing Students
On behalf of Nursing Education and Professional Development (NEPD) we want to welcome you to Children’s National Health System. We are here to support you in making your clinical rotation an excellent learning opportunity.
NEPD is the preeminent provider of pediatric healthcare education for nursing professionals and the healthcare workforce across the learning continuum. Through our APPLE Framework, we are:
Advancing Professional Practice through Learning Excellence
We welcome nursing students throughout the traditional academic year. Semesters run as follows:
- Spring (January – May)
- Summer (May – August)
- Fall (August – December)
Prior to beginning, ALL faculty and students must complete their orientation and be cleared by NEPD. Minimally, this should be completed two weeks before starting your clinical learning experience.
Our orientation process is a self-study program which contains all the materials necessary to aid you in completing the orientation requirements.
Requirements will vary based on whether you are faculty, graduate/ post graduate student, undergraduate student, or an undergraduate practicum student. To begin the orientation for Academic Partners, ALL (faculty, graduate/ post graduate student, undergraduate student, or an undergraduate practicum student) must:
- Complete their orientation and be cleared by NEPD. Minimally this should be completed two weeks before starting your clinical learning experience.
- Review the following:
Once you have completed the above, please print the following forms & submit as a part of your orientation packet:
For faculty and undergraduate practicum students: Once completed, please print completed forms and fax, email or hand-deliver all required documents to:
Shari L. Washington, MSN, RN-BC, CPN
Professional Development Specialist
Phone: (202) 476-3523
Fax: (202) 476-5935
Helpful links and resources
- Directions to hospital. Hospital floor plan maps are also available on the main website. The “My Bear Guide” app is also available for Android and Apple phones.
- There is no onsite parking for students. There is, however, shuttle service available from the Columbia Heights Metro Station, Brookland Metro Station and Union Station. (See Shuttle Schedules | Download schedule (PDF). Additional transportation information options are also available online under “Transportation & Parking.” There is very limited on-street parking on Michigan Avenue between North Capital Street and the Shrine, but this is not guaranteed. Street parking at meters is strongly discouraged.
Faculty/ Undergraduate Practicum Students
NOTE: You need to complete ONLY the section that reads, Contingent Worker Information.
Policies and Procedures
- Orientation for Faculty of Affiliating Schools of Nursing Policy | Procedure
- Treatment and Medication Administration Nursing Students and Instructors Policy | Procedure
- Affiliating Schools of Nursing Request for Clinical Experience – Undergraduate Students Policy | Procedure
- Affiliating Schools of Nursing Request for Clinical Experience – Graduate Students Policy | Procedure