Medical Psychology Program
We understand how a child’s illness affects the entire family, which is why we focus our care from the perspective of the family.
The Medical Psychology Program at Children's National Medical Center serves families and patients who suffer from chronic medical conditions, acute physical symptoms, or distress associated with medical treatment. Assistance provided by the medical psychology program:
• Consultation with medical care providers
• Medical Adherence management
• Adjustment to illness
• Pain management
• Stress management
• Relaxation training
Support for Families
Children’s National offers emotional support as well as resources and specialists to assist you in caring for your child’s condition:
• Behavioral interventions for medical regimens and cooperation with medical procedures
• Neurocognitive evaluations for the detection of developmental, educational, or neuropsychological effects of medical treatment
• Medical evaluations and consultation through Children’s psychiatry liaison
Individual, family, and group psychotherapy also is available to help families cope with a child’s illness, school attendance issues, other side effects, and bereavement.
- Departments & Programs - Children's National Medical Center