Children’s National Medical Center offers a comprehensive Nutrition Program for children with complex nutritional needs. The program’s
team includes international experts in the field, one of the most experienced teams in the country. Our specialists ensure that your child receives the
nutrients critical for health, growth, and development.
Specialized Care for a Growing Child
Children’s Nutrition Program offers advanced pediatric gastroenterological services from a multidisciplinary team that includes dieticians,
nurses, physician assistants, and physicians.
The nutrition team treats children with special nutrition needs, including those who require gastronomy or jejunal tube feeding, and inpatients who need
close monitoring of their nutrient intake. Additionally, Children’s National offers the highest level of specialized care for children requiring home
parenteral nutrition. Common care services provided:
• Consultations for newly diagnosed patients with conditions like celiac disease and inflammatory bowel disease, and cases requiring a second
• Gastrostomy and jejunal feeding tubes endoscopically placed by our expert team with specialized feeding experience
• Patients’ nutritional needs monitored under the direction of a highly skilled nurse practitioner and dietician
• Ongoing care for children dependent on a feeding tube with equipment available for anthropometric measurement (measurement of growth) for
children in wheelchairs
Children’s gastroenterologists work closely with other specialists to see that the needs of every patient are met, including specialists from the
divisions of Hearing and Speech, Psychiatry, and Developmental Pediatrics. Children’s Feeding Disorders Program evaluates
children who are picky eaters with associated medical conditions and those diagnosed with failure to thrive.
Care for children with severe nutritional complications is managed in a daycare program jointly run by Children’s National Medical Center and
the Hospital for Sick Children.
Back to top
- Departments & Programs - Children's National Medical Center